We here in Minnesota are in the midst of the "snowiest" December, and quite possibly, the snowiest winter on record. Today is December 21st and we have already had approximately 40 inches of snow this "winter"....although the winter solstice just occurred! It is very scenic outside, although I don't think that is the exact word I used when shoveling the 20" of snow received last weekend. It does lend itself to a very "white" Christmas though. How cold is it? Well..It is so cold Kari and I caught Sierra and Summit (our Golden's) attempting to hitchhike their way south to Mexico. Summit had heard from his Mexican Chiawa wa dog park friend that is "where all of the good "Bee-ches" are.....wait for it...read it again....ok, now you may laugh out loud, or LOL as all the cool kids are saying. Sorry...I thought it was funny...I digress. If you didn't get the joke...call Kari....ok..if you don't get it, say Beeches like a Mexican Chiawa wa would.
Well, let's get down to business! Kari and I wanted to update everyone on the year of 2010 in retrospect. Looking back, we would label this year "the year of the Dogs...and .....change." Read to find out why....
The year of 2010 has been very good to us. We are lucky to have a great group of family and friends and yes...our two wonderful pups..Sierra and Summit!
Speaking of pups, lets begin there. With our Golden Retriever Sierra being approximately 10 months old, we made the decision to get a second Golden Retriever. I use the term "we" loosely, as most married men can probably attest to that statement.
Kari was interested in a second pup to add to our family and also help to train/occupy/comfort Sierra. When she asked me (I had been drinking heavily that evening) I thought that was a GREAT idea (damn Sailor Jerry). So, in April we added to the small family we currently have. Small is the key word. Sierra is a 60lb Golden and we thought Summit would be similar as he is from the same blood lines...well...I would not use small to describe our now 10 month old "puppy," unless you would refer to Secretariat as being a "small" horse. His head resembles the size of Roger Clemens and/or Mark McGuire in their "glory days"...It is HUGE. I swear he has not taken any anabolic steroids that we know of or that he "mis-remembers"....he is just a very large pup. I would guess he's roughly an 85lb dog....and still growing strong. Although large, Summit has been nicknamed the "Gentle Giant" by some. We are very curious to see how big he will get.
The reason I would label this "the year of the dogs" ....is probably anyone that owns a Golden knows that they can be the most lovable pups in the world. Very kind, gentle, warm hearted, and easily trained...however, when you have two golden puppies to train...I don't know what the hell we were thinking :) Between a few eaten socks, hair ties, spackle consumption..yes I said spackle consumption, chewed drywall, chewed limbs...and every body part bloodied...THEY ARE A JOY:) Kari and I have enjoyed every minute of them, but they certainly have taken up a considerable amount of our time...in a good way.
Let's re-cap the rest of the year;
January - Patrick turns 35 years old. Kari says "Do you realize that when you were in high school....I was in the 3rd grade." Patrick goes into depression....and then vows to run the Chicago Marathon to prove 35 is not old...and that his older brother Tim WILL NOT beat him in the marathon!
We also visited my parent's in Florida to get out of the cold for a long weekend, but Patrick was still disturbed by his wife's statement.
February - End of the Month Kari and I took a "winter staycation" to a great place in Northern Minnesota called the Grand View Lodge! A weekend of Cross Country Skiing, fun and food. We had a great time. This was our Pseudo one year wedding anniversary "get away." Our one year Anniversary is really April 18th, for those keeping track!
February - End of the Month Kari and I took a "winter staycation" to a great place in Northern Minnesota called the Grand View Lodge! A weekend of Cross Country Skiing, fun and food. We had a great time. This was our Pseudo one year wedding anniversary "get away." Our one year Anniversary is really April 18th, for those keeping track!
March - Kari and Patrick bought a new Car!! It is a Volswagen Passat. Patrick quickly learns what Farfugnugen REALLY means. If you don't know...we have had 2 transmissions, and multiple "shop" visits with our brand new car!
April - Patrick and Kari attend our first Twins game at Target Field. Kari and I purchased a season tix package.... Target Field was awesome! I had the opportunity to attend about 18 games this season. Still being a Tiger fan, I attended at least one game in each Tigers/Twin Series (...and yes Tim and Tate...I wore my TIGERS attire) For our official one year anniversary...I got Kari TWINS TICKETS to the game on the 18th..what wife wouldn't WANT THAT! Come on! I see no problem with that...Do you?
May - My brother Tim and sister in-law Darlene visit to see the Twins stadium and run in the Stillwater Marathon. We happened to have tickets for the game that ended up being the hottest game of the year..topping out at 96 sweaty degrees. Kari's dad John joined us for the game. I believe for a second..we all wished the metrodome was back.
April - Patrick and Kari attend our first Twins game at Target Field. Kari and I purchased a season tix package.... Target Field was awesome! I had the opportunity to attend about 18 games this season. Still being a Tiger fan, I attended at least one game in each Tigers/Twin Series (...and yes Tim and Tate...I wore my TIGERS attire) For our official one year anniversary...I got Kari TWINS TICKETS to the game on the 18th..what wife wouldn't WANT THAT! Come on! I see no problem with that...Do you?
May - My brother Tim and sister in-law Darlene visit to see the Twins stadium and run in the Stillwater Marathon. We happened to have tickets for the game that ended up being the hottest game of the year..topping out at 96 sweaty degrees. Kari's dad John joined us for the game. I believe for a second..we all wished the metrodome was back.
Darlene and I also ran the 12k in Stillwater. Tim bailed on running the marathon...something about a broken leg..waaahhhhhh. I think I intimidated him.
June - Kari takes a new position at Ameriprise! This is where the "change" of the year comes in. Kari and I both took on new jobs within a few months of each other. She now manages a client advisor call center at Ameriprise. Kari manages one of the largest "departments" in her division of Ameriprise with 25ish people reporting to her. She has done an awesome job as a new manager taking on and turning around a "broken" department. Kari was actually recognized by her CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) for a job well done! Great Job Kari! One of the most difficult moments of Kari's job was within the first 2 weeks she had to "write-up" 18 of her 25 reports for disciplinary reasons..all within 2 days! Oddly enough Verizon and AT&T reported those two days saw the highest amount of tweets, social media posts, and texts come from the Ameriprise building location... all encompassing the words, "Blonde, Boss, and another B word" I shall not mention. :) If you have ever managed a group and had to do that...you know it happened!
June - Kari takes a new position at Ameriprise! This is where the "change" of the year comes in. Kari and I both took on new jobs within a few months of each other. She now manages a client advisor call center at Ameriprise. Kari manages one of the largest "departments" in her division of Ameriprise with 25ish people reporting to her. She has done an awesome job as a new manager taking on and turning around a "broken" department. Kari was actually recognized by her CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) for a job well done! Great Job Kari! One of the most difficult moments of Kari's job was within the first 2 weeks she had to "write-up" 18 of her 25 reports for disciplinary reasons..all within 2 days! Oddly enough Verizon and AT&T reported those two days saw the highest amount of tweets, social media posts, and texts come from the Ameriprise building location... all encompassing the words, "Blonde, Boss, and another B word" I shall not mention. :) If you have ever managed a group and had to do that...you know it happened!
Side Note: Patrick starts training for the Chicago Marathon.
July/August - Kari and I had the opportunity to see both of our families in Michigan and in Northern Minnesota while on a little vacation. We also thought it would be a good idea to drive with two puppy golden retrievers, and two adults, in a Mazda Tribute across the entire state of Michigan. We drove through the UP of MI...wow...saw all 10 people and 2 towns that exist up there, and learned that a Pastie isn't something that only a stripper wears...to the "U" - pers (uhhh...not that I would know anything about that)...it is also a food item! Who knew? We had a great time with family and friends during our time off.
July/August - Kari and I had the opportunity to see both of our families in Michigan and in Northern Minnesota while on a little vacation. We also thought it would be a good idea to drive with two puppy golden retrievers, and two adults, in a Mazda Tribute across the entire state of Michigan. We drove through the UP of MI...wow...saw all 10 people and 2 towns that exist up there, and learned that a Pastie isn't something that only a stripper wears...to the "U" - pers (uhhh...not that I would know anything about that)...it is also a food item! Who knew? We had a great time with family and friends during our time off.
Side Note: Patrick stops training for the Chicago Marathon...what the hell was I thinking. Sorry, I had to stop referring to myself in the third person.
Patrick also started a new job working for the second largest Coffee Company in the world, Caribou Coffee, behind, what we refer to as "the Green Dot." Look at a cup from Starbucks and you will know why. I am the Director of Training for the company overseeing training over 500 locations around the world and around 6,000 employees. It is a great company. This is the best I have felt in a job in many many years! Very lucky to be here! I can barley type this from caffeine overdosing that occurs daily, but darn good job!
September - Kari starts her MBA program at the University of St. Thomas in downtown Minneapolis. She will be taking night classes to earn her MBA.
Patrick also started a new job working for the second largest Coffee Company in the world, Caribou Coffee, behind, what we refer to as "the Green Dot." Look at a cup from Starbucks and you will know why. I am the Director of Training for the company overseeing training over 500 locations around the world and around 6,000 employees. It is a great company. This is the best I have felt in a job in many many years! Very lucky to be here! I can barley type this from caffeine overdosing that occurs daily, but darn good job!
September - Kari starts her MBA program at the University of St. Thomas in downtown Minneapolis. She will be taking night classes to earn her MBA.
In September...Patrick resumes training for the Chicago Marathon...boy does it suck.
October - In an odd twist, literally, Patrick trips and falls "on nothing" while trying to squash an ant, and severely sprains his ankle (Grade 3 Sprain). At least..that is what he told everyone. Remember what I gave Kari for our one year anniversary gift. (Twins tix...apparently the rage came out months later.) Patrick hobbles around on crutches for a month, while Kari takes care of him :) Thanks Kari!
November - Let the snow begin! 14" of snow the second weekend in November...it is going to be a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG winter!
December - MORE &^%#& SNOW!
Other remarkable events in our lives!
- Kari's Sister and Husband Tate had triplets in June! (God bless them) CONGRATS!
- Kari's brother Erik and wife Jen welcomed twins in December. (oh dear lord...) Congrats!
- Patrick has a nervous breakdown that multiples may run in Kari's family (I pray nightly to St. Joseph - the Karsnick Catholics may understand the Saint reference!)
- We traveled to see the UCF KNIGHTS play football in Manhattan, KS (not as exciting as Manhattan, NY if you were wondering) in September. We had a GREAT time with Kari's parents John and Sue. I converted them to temporary UCF fans, and we literally weathered a storm!
- UCF FOOTBALL is RANKED! Finishes the season #25 in the country..(wait..where are Iowa and Michigan? ..they have to be here somewhere on the AP...oh..huh odd...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...ps..our basketball team is now ranked 24th as well! )
- Patrick's niece Alex gets engaged to Aaron! Woohooo. Wedding to ensue...Congrats!
- Patrick was electrocuted approx. 5 times this year, fixing the dryer, installing a ceiling fan, and completing various other remodeling projects around the house, as Kari and I continue to update/remodel our home.
Lastly, Kari and I are very blessed to have such a great life full of family, and friends. We wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! God Speed and God Bless to all!
Love Kari, Patrick, Sierra, and Summit!

The ominous storm at the Kansas State vs UCF Game


John, Sue, Kari, and Patrick sportin' UCF gear in a sea of KS purple...


Kari, Summit, and I sleeping on the dock up north..

Kari & Patrick after two hours of skiing up north!


Summit Napping...
Darlene and Patrick finish the 12k...Sierra and Summit along for the ride
Sierra, Summit, and Kari..in our "loaner" Yaris car while transmission 2 was being installed (I pulled a Mission Impossible Tom Cruise move, and took this pic while laying on the hood going 85mph on 35...no..really, I did...)

Kari, Summit, and I sleeping on the dock up north..

Kari & Patrick after two hours of skiing up north!

Sierra and Summit wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! (so do Kari and Patrick)


No comments:
Post a Comment